Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Axioms of Web Design -


I spend more hours online these days than I care to admit, mostly researching for school projects or mindlessly browsing Facebook for a brief escaping moment. I never actually had time to consider what I enjoy about the website designs I use on a normal basis and now as I pause to consider them, it is abundantly clear they are all actually quite terrible.


Mostly what I enjoy about web surfing is seeking out the best photographs and information about places to travel. I chose to evaluate the State of California tourism website (www.visitcalifornia.com) initially because I was born there and it still my favorite place on the planet, but also because the home page caught my attention above many other tourism sites, including Utah's, unfortunately.

The landing page has a simple and functional design that doesn't overpower the beauty of the full page photograph that is exactly what I was hoping to see. It gets right to the point will a bold title and simple tag line at lets you know you are about to discover everything about the state. Enough information to "fuel your dreams." The navigation is intuitive and easily recognizable with basic hash lines in the upper right corner for menu transport and a simple down arrow at the center of the page the scroll you through all the content.



As you scroll down through the page for content you find a strong grid design on each segment with only a few different styles depending on the subject. The arrangement and design remains consistent throughout the site. All gutters are equal distance, either two or three column, and there is ample white space to prevent it from feeling cluttered or chaotic. The focus is always on the colorful pictures which stand out perfectly contrasted against the white background.

Even though I was born and raised all over the state I couldn't hep but have fun exploring many of the different pages of extra information you can link to. It is set up for all people and as information and multi-media elements that can attract a variety of web users. I would advise checking out the skating at Tahoe video for an instant smile. It is also highly interactive will standardized links the the common social media sites and ways to access specific comments from previous users and California tourists.

It was hardly the standard and boring tourism bureau websites you commonly find when looking for places to take you next spring break vacation. It is easy to access the information you went there looking for and it sucks you in to a photo museum of one of the best places on the planet...ok little biased. The site is responsive and interesting to the eyes when the pictures jump off the screen and it converts for access on any device and enjoy much of the same functionality. It is an example of putting a great deal of thought into stepping toward the smartphone era and respecting that users respond to strong visual elements. Man I need to go home for a visit!

Golden Gate Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment